THREE TREES

THREE TREES
The horse's pasture to the East...

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Accountability 101

accountability
noun U ]
US  
 
/əˌkaʊn.t̬əˈbɪl.ə.t̬i/
 UK  
 
/əˌkaʊn.təˈbɪl.ə.ti/
the fact of being responsible for what you do and able to give a satisfactory reason for it, or the degree to which this happens
There were furious demands for greater police accountability.
Accountability is important these days, and managers aren't always willing to adopt risky strategies

The above definition is from the Oxford English Dictionary, of the word ; accountability.

In a group that I joined this Spring, to continue with the learning curve in my horsemanship, the term “ Accountability Thread “ was added part way through. There are certain words that are triggers for me, especially in a time of heavy social pressure and criticism from peer groups. If you read the definition of the word, you can see that the person/people running the online course are probably trying to get students involved in the process of leaving stories or videos of what is going on with their horses, so they can give the student feedback. I understand that and am usually amenable to the suggestions from the instructors. 

But this year I am not interested in being accountable to anyone about my actions, as a student or otherwise. Look at the way the word is being used in example sentences (see above). Who has to be satisfied? I do, not the instructor. Who do I have to be accountable to? My horse. They are going to give me the best feedback on my actions and overall demeanor, where I am emotionally and whether I communicated clearly enough with them. Did I leave their dignity intact while learning to relate to them, to interact with them as a partner? 

As for the last sentence in the definition, I adhere to no command structure under any circumstances. I am not in the military nor am I an employee. I am a student using online courses to teach myself. Would I like feedback from the instructor? Yes, if that is included in the course description. Will I join any “Accountability Thread” ? Aside from the fact that I am now not on social media and this group is set up only for students on FB, no. I will not be dictated to by anyone much less by someone that I paid for instruction. When I paid them I became their employer and not the other way around. In fact, they are accountable to me and any other student who paid them for their services.


You can see why I am uninterested in doing anymore than simply watching the videos and finishing that part of the course. I’m not going to name the people running the course. One is German and the other Swiss. The use of the word could simply be a language issue, a misunderstanding. I’m not interested in hurting any small business owner, especially during the present circumstances. I will almost certainly not be continuing any other courses with them though. Part of running any course is making sure you communicate clearly with your students. I will not get my full money’s worth from this course. That’s part of my learning curve. If the term “accountability thread” had been used from the beginning, I would have chosen not be a part of the class. 

Some words are triggers. For an American, “ACCOUNTABILITY” goes in one direction only. Leaders are elected and employed by me and my fellow citizens, not the other way around. That also includes local governments such as mayors, sheriffs, governors and legislatures as well as at the Federal level. And for me it includes who I pay for services rendered, in this case instruction in communication with horses. 

I will be more careful, in the future, when paying for any learning. I will sample first and, if the course does not match my expectations, I will ask for a refund. I am considering the money paid a donation to a worthy cause. I am learning the hard way this time. 

I am, ever yours, Nancy, smiling at the way things go... I will be more clear in the future both with myself and the instructor about what I am looking for in a teacher. 




No comments: