THREE TREES

THREE TREES
The horse's pasture to the East...

Saturday, February 26, 2011

POSSIBILITIES...


Sometimes there's an intersection in your life where the place you live at inside your head, the place you're really living in the outside world and the place you want to be all come together. There isn't any way to predict when that's going to happen or even any way to see it until it's past. Today was one of those days.


I have this imagination that has no boundaries on it. It never occurs to me that I can't do something. I don't think about physical limitations or fiscal limitations or any other kind of limits that might be in my way. Instead I get intrigued and excited about some goal and then I go towards it, one step at a time. And now I'm old enough to understand that, for me, it's always been the process of reaching FOR my goals and not the end game itself that makes me happy, helps me to grow and change, makes me stronger and braver.


Today the air was a weird, bright, flat mist from horizon to horizon. Until the sun went down, it didn't change. The temperature was within a few degrees of what it was early this morning and stayed that way all day. It was all very "Twilight Zone-ish". It's not that any one thing stood out. But it had a weird cast to it.

John was home unexpectedly. He was supposed to work but they told him at the last minute he wasn't needed. And it couldn't have been a better day for it either. We did our chores together...always wonderful when we get to do that. The horses, dogs, everyone loves having him here, maybe because I love having him here?


The horses were excited and very funny, knocking things over and stealing tools when the opportunity presented itself. The dogs were needy and so was I. We all just sort of hung out together watching the strange, flat February light while I made up stories about what was happening outside the edges of our little world.

But the best part was watching our first streaming paid for program on the Internet...THE ROAD TO THE HORSE. It had all kinds of spectacular horse men and women in it doing clinics and demonstrations. And then the pee-ace de resistance... Pat Parelli, Clinton Anderson and Chris Cox starting colts in a timed event.

Fascinating! They all worked in ways that matched their various philosophies and personalities, doing pretty much what I expected them to. What a wonderful way to learn! John and I sat here staring at our little computer monitor, hoping the connection would hold so we could finish it. (The second half is tomorrow. I can hardly wait!)

Pat Parelli was bucked off of his horse within five minutes of the end of the time allowed to work with the horses. Talk about a collective gasp! The crowd was riveted, watching it as the clock wound down. All three clinicians were very good at what they did...very instructive. But watching Pat Parelli was like watching a Master Violinist play a Mozart Concerto. Clinton Anderson was a locomotive plowing through his time with his colt and Chris Cox was very serious, even and steady, somewhere between the two.

Pat Parelli did things like getting the horses to line up and follow him as he walked out into the arena to choose his colt. Amazing! He had first choice after a draw from a hat. He spent the rest of his time forming this lovely connection with his chosen colt. Whenever he left his round corral to give his colt a rest (and himself too), the horse would follow him and stand next to him. Within the first few minutes the horse he was working with saw him as the person in charge, the place to be for safety.

I'm not far enough along on my journey to fully understand why Pat Parelli came off of his horse. I'm guessing he may have pushed just that tiny bit too far. But for me it made him an even better teacher. He never missed a beat...got back on after playing STick To Me and getting his colt to come to him again so he could remove the saddle and remount bareback. He managed to end his time in the corral on a good note.

It also made him more human. I think I've been putting him up on a pedestal and that's not a good thing to do with anyone. His mastery with the horse is way past anything I'll probably ever achieve in my lifetime, but he's still human and fallible. He got caught up in the competition enough that he show boated. When he did that, the horse brought him back to Earth, literally. Nothing like a horse to make you honest. It's made him a much more interesting teacher for me. I'm even more in awe of his timing, focus and ability to put the horse first and to do it with style, wit and grace. And it gave me great respect for the horse too...any horse.


And there's the intersection. I was sitting here, watching the two hours count down and dreaming about what it would be like to start a colt of my own. I would love to do that at least once in my life...call it one of my Bucket List things that I want to experience. And the reality? It was a combination event for me...watching Pat Parelli fall and recover and knowing that I have two horses and a donkey of my own, standing right outside my house waiting for me to come out to them. I've become their safety and that's happened because the Parelli's and their staff have put together a comprehensive educational system that works.

Things haven't changed that much. It's still weird and misty. The temperature is within a few degrees of what it was at six this morning...very typical of this time of year. And I'm not any younger or prettier or more important either. But I am smarter because I learned that I still like my teacher. And, even better, he showed all of us watching that his program works...that his lists are valid.

Tomorrow should be fun!

I am, ever yours, Nancy, waiting in anticipation and smiling at the possibilities

No comments: